Saturday, March 16, 2024

The Outlaw Noble Salt: A Book Review



I think this book was written just for me. 

Growing up, I never forgot that I lived in what used to be the Wild West, thanks to my cowboy grandpa and his love for Mormon history, wild west stories, Butch Cassidy, and Native Americans. He told endless stories and wrote scores of fiction books about the wild frontier, so I like to think these stories are somehow imprinted in me too. 

The Outlaw Noble Salt combines my ancestral history, my ceaseless love and fascination with the wild west, and my current love for romances and books that make me cry. I was enthralled with every chapter, and I have a deep love for each character in this book. I feel so grateful to have spent time with these characters and to never forget them. 

The plot, though not full of train and bank robberies, holds its own heart-stopping tension. I was so stressed through this book, wondering how everything would work out. Amy Harmon isn't afraid of addressing difficult subjects and creating a torrent of emotions for the reader. But true to her style, I trust her endings. And this book had the perfect ending I think it could have had. But that didn't stop me from sobbing.

This is without a doubt my favorite Amy Harmon book so far. It touched me in a deeply personal way, and reminded me of hiding in my grandpa's barn with the horses, reading his wild west stories and wondering what it would be like to have nothing but a horse, a saddlebag, a dream, and wide open space. I love this book with my whole heart.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Thank you, Amy Harmon, for the arc!
Releases April 9, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: fighting violence and death, swearing, miscarriage, sexual abuse recounted, two vague open door scenes

No comments:

Post a Comment