Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Goddess in the Machine: A Book Review


I don't often read sci-fi. But when I pick up a sci-fi like Goddess in the Machine, I wonder why I don't read the genre more often! I was absolutely enthralled with this book. It starts out tense: Andra wakes up from a cryonic sleep after her journey across the galaxy, but she's a thousand years too late and everyone on the planet keeps calling her "Goddess." Andra has to figure out what went wrong on the spaceship, where her family is, and why everyone thinks she's deity. 

I think the plot is this book's strength. There's so many plot twists and so much tension. Andra is also a great character, and I LOVED how she was described as "chubby." We need more explicit body diversity in YA lit. Also, Johnson creates her own language in this book: an evolved version of English. The slang is hard to get used to at first, but by the end of the book, you feel like you've learned a second version of English. It's incredibly clever. All in all, this book surprised me, and I'll definitely be reading its sequel. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4.5
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Razorbill and NetGalley, for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment