Thursday, June 11, 2020

The Kinder Poison: A Book Review


This book reminds me of We Hunt the Flame, Ashlords, and Tiger Queen. The Kinder Poison follows Zahru, a peasant with insignificant magic, as she gets caught up in a deadly race across the desert between heirs of the kingdom battling for the crown. It took a bit for me to get into as the beginning is very slow, but the middle of the book has lots of twists I didn't see coming. Zahru also has some nice character growth, and I enjoyed learning about each of the heirs. It did drive me crazy that Zahru had soooo many chances of escape that she didn't take, making her kindness look like weakness. However, there was enough action to keep me interested, and enough intrigue to make me look forward to the second book. But somehow, I still don't feel like this book deserves four stars. Maybe because it seemed underdeveloped with the romance (there's some instalove and also a suggestion of a love triangle?), I'm still a little confused on how the magic works, and the story overall didn't seem polished. (Also, I still don't know what "Kinder" in the title refers to, especially because that's the word for "children" in German.)

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 3
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you Razorbill and NetGalley for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment