Tuesday, June 15, 2021

The Queen Will Betray You: A Book Review


I think the thing I love most about this duology is the cover art. Both books have phenomenal art with such beautiful characters on the front. That always draws me into a fantasy book. Another thing that drew me in was that it's a gender-swapped retelling of The Princess Bride. What a cool concept! However, ultimately I wasn't super impressed. Here are a few reasons why. 

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of The Princess Bride. I don't know why. Maybe if I rewatch it as an adult, I'll like it better. But I just didn't love it growing up. So perhaps that influenced my opinion of this duology. I always though Buttercup and Wesley were a little much, and I felt the same with Amarande and Luca. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes every time they got near each other. 

And speaking of characters, I just couldn't connect to any of them. There were some interesting villains to be sure, but the rest I felt "meh" about. But I continued to read because of the plot. There was lots of intrigue, betrayal, politics, and action—enough to keep me happy and reading. All in all, a fine duology, but probably one I'll forget rather soon. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3.5
Character Development: 2
Overall: 3

Thank you, Tor Teen and NetGalley, for the ARC!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment