Monday, September 18, 2023

A Not-So-Distant Love: A Book Review


Heidi Kimball never fails to write heartfelt romances. A Not-So-Distant Love is such a good one! I was so excited to dive deep into Charlotte's story after Heart in the Highlands. I loved seeing old characters come to life again through Charlotte's perspective. She deserves her own story, and I'm so happy Heidi Kimball decided to write it. 

There's an entirely new setting in this book with Charlotte visiting America. I don't read a lot of regency romances set in America, so I liked that new experience. Right away there's some enemies-to-lovers vibes between Charlotte and Dr. Alec Galloway, and they had some great banter together. I also like how they go through their own personal journeys: Charlotte with learning patience and discovering her parents' past, and Alec with forgiving himself and rekindling his relationship with God. I do wish there was a little more forced proximity between them in the book, but I love the scenes with them together. And the ending is so sweet.

Definitely read this book if you love Heart in the Highlands, enemies to lovers, great banter, and elements of Christianity! I can't wait to read what Heidi Kimball writes next.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Heidi Kimball and Covenant Communications, for the arc!
Release Date: October 24, 2023

Trigger/Content Warnings: descriptions of sickness, accidents, and death relating to doctor visits; ship explosion and death; animal wounds; family deaths recounted; mild fade to black

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment