Thursday, September 14, 2023

The Unmaking of June Farrow: A Book Review


No one writes like Adrienne Young. When I pick up her books, I know there's going to be characters I'd die for, a story that completely wraps me up and takes me away, and writing that feels both familiar and ethereal. The Unmaking of June Farrow was no different.

From the beginning, I was drawn to June. She is part of a legacy of women who always go mad, seeing and hearing and experiencing things that aren't there. I loved June's balance of knowing her reality and future and still hoping for a different outcome. I instantly wanted to be there for her through her journey. 

The tension in this book starts right away with the madness, and with every secret revealed I was on the edge of my seat. Once I hit the halfway point, I couldn't put this book down even if I wanted to. I never saw the twists and turns coming. My mind was blown! I've never really liked a time travel book, but if anyone could make me love one, it's definitely Adrienne Young. The whole thing was so well executed.

I did wish there was a little more romantic development in this book, but I still enjoyed the second-chance romance and how it mixed with the tension and the plot. There are SO many emotions throughout that tie everything together. My heart was ripped wide open and healed again. All in all, this book is a haunting story with secrets upon secrets and characters that feel REAL. Another winner from my favorite author.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Thank you, Dellacorte Press, for the arc!
Release Date: October 17, 2023

Trigger/Content Warnings: madness, deaths of family members, violence, murder, parent abandonment, one open door scene

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment