Thursday, November 17, 2022

A Guide to Just Being Friends: A Book Review


Oh dear. This book was a huge flop for me. Before I go on to list all the things I disliked, I will say that this book had some cute moments, and I liked the unique idea of a salad shop. The end. 

As for the things I couldn't get behind:
- So incredibly boring. Almost all of it felt like day-to-day activities and business conversations that should have been left off page. 
- Zero tension with the romance until about 80%. Seriously. They met, they became friends, and literally nothing was keeping them apart except for their idiocy. 
- Both main characters annoyed me so much. Hailey felt so selfish and prideful to me when she refused all of Wes's gifts, saying he wasn't trying hard enough to "know" what kind of gifts she'd want instead. And Wes was just super vanilla and annoyingly resistant to anything more than friends with benefits. 
- Way too many side characters, and too much focus on them. It felt like the author was trying to make this book into an epilogue for the characters from the previous two books. 

Okay, this list is getting rather long, so I'm going to stop now. Suffice it to say, I did not enjoy this book. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 2
Plot/Movement: 2
Character Development: 2
Overall: 2

Thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC.

Trigger/Content Warnings: fade to black, divorced parents

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment