Monday, November 14, 2022

The Call of the Sea: A Book Review


I liked this book! I love how the story is based on true events and that Sian Ann Bessey put her own spin on it. It's a thrilling murder-mystery type of story with lots of secrets to uncover. It kept my attention pretty easily, and the pacing felt steady and strong. 

Lief isn't an ordinary Viking with his openness to Christianity and disdain for raids, so that came as a surprise to me. It set up the perfect opportunity for an enemies-to-lovers romance with a Cymry girl. However, the romance was very much a subplot. I would have liked more romantic moments between them and more relationship growth shown. The book is labeled as a romance, but the murder-mystery plot was clearly the focus. 

All in all, I think the historical aspect of this book is its strength, but I would have appreciated more Viking grittiness and more romance. But I was still entertained by the story!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Covenant Communications and NetGalley, for the ARC!

Trigger/Content Warnings: violence, murder, kidnapping, kisses only

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment