Thursday, November 10, 2022

The Poison Season: A Book Review


This book has so many great elements to it: a magical but greedy forest, a sweet enemies-to-lovers romance, tons of town secrets and plot twists, and cult vibes. I was entertained the whole way through, and I really liked Leelo as a character. She's not the strongest or the most headstrong, but she has her own quiet strength in kindness and empathy. She stands out from her town by questioning what everyone tells her to believe, and she has a strong inner voice that helps her stay true to herself and what she thinks is right. I enjoyed her growth through the book. Jaren is also a kind and understanding character, and while I didn't feel as connected to him, I enjoyed his relationship with Leelo. 

The plot is another strong element to this book! It felt very similar to Spells for Forgetting by Adrienne Young, but with strong YA themes instead. I liked finding out more about the island and its people's secrets as the story went on. And the ending had me flipping pages as fast as I could! I felt invested not only in Leelo and Jaren's story but the story of the island as well. A thoroughly enjoyable read!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Inkyard Press and NetGalley, for the ARC!

Trigger/Content Warnings: death by drowning/poisoning, other deaths recounted, injury, cult mentality, kissing

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment