Saturday, December 30, 2023

A Fate Inked in Blood: A Book Review


This book has ALL the Viking vibes! It reminded me a lot of the TV show Vikings with its Viking culture, battle scenes, and discussions about power and fate. I was sucked in from the very beginning. I love when the MC is the chosen one, and right away I wanted to root for Freya. I appreciated her character journey of trying to control her fate when so many difficult things happen to her. 

The romance in this is a slow-burn forbidden love, and I think it balances well with the epic plot. Both the romance and the plot have lots of twists and turns that held my attention, and I can't wait to see where the next book goes. 

I had some reservations about Freya as a character. Some of her decisions (or lack thereof) annoyed me. And I wanted more of an emotional-focused relationship with Bjorn, not just lust. But I think that relationship growth will come in the next book, and I sincerely hope Freya finds more strength and stubbornness too. 

Overall, this is an entertaining Viking fantasy, one that both Danielle L. Jensen's beloved readers and new readers alike will enjoy. Definitely give this one a try if you love Sky in the Deep, The Shadow of the Gods, and The First Girl Child.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Ballantine and Del Rey, for the arc!
Releases February 27, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: fighting violence and death, gore, sacrificing animals, swearing, several open door scenes

No comments:

Post a Comment