Monday, December 11, 2023

A Fragile Enchantment: A Book Review


This book has such a beautiful cover. It immediately drew me in and made me want to read this book without even knowing what it was about. Unfortunately, the story didn't quite live up to the whimsical, gorgeous cover.

Nothing much...happens in this one. The plot centers around court politics and Niamh sewing wedding clothes for the prince and his betrothed. Then the romance develops, and the plot centers around that. Sometimes that really works for me in fantasy, but I couldn't bring myself to truly care about Niamh and all the other characters. I wanted more intrigue, more high stakes, more tension to balance out the coziness of the romance. I ended up speed-reading most of the second half of the book, and I feel like I didn't miss anything major. 

I think this book was just more cozy than I was expecting, so it didn't work for me. But I can see how others would love this book! This is my second "meh" book by Allison Saft, so I don't think she's the author for me. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 2
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Wednesday Books, for the arc!
Releases Jan 2, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: parent death, abandonment, and cruelty recounted; smoking and drinking; swearing; one fade to black scene

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here 

No comments:

Post a Comment