Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The Game of Hearts: A Book Review


I loved The Never Heir earlier this year, so I was excited to be spending time in this fairy tale world again with The Game of Hearts. Courtney Millecam's writing is so captivating, and she creates such a detailed fantasy world within a 1920s historical setting so well. Even though she writes retellings, I know I'm going to be reading something original and fresh every time. 

I'm not a huge Alice in Wonderland fan, so it's amazing that I enjoyed this story so much! I loved how elements of the original story show up in the competition plot. There's tons of tension in wondering who Alice can trust and what will happen after each decision she makes. The plot moves along quickly, and the ending is absolutely crazy!

The romance is captivating as well. It's a true rivals-to-lovers slow burn, and even though I wanted more forced proximity with them, I enjoyed each scene we got. I bet there will be more to come with their relationship, and I'm excited to see what the next book brings! Overall, this is a great companion novel to The Never Heir, one I think readers who like retellings will enjoy.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Courtney Millecam, for the arc!
Releases Feb 23, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: fighting violence and death, monster violence and death, injuries, murder, kisses

No comments:

Post a Comment