Sunday, December 17, 2023

Heartless Hunter: A Book Review


A fantasy Scarlet Pimpernel retelling? Yes, please!! I love The Scarlet Pimpernel, and I love witches, so Heartless Hunter is the perfect mash-up for me. It has all the tropes and elements I love: hidden identity, enemies to lovers romance, slow burn, witch magic, and rebellion. And the story moves so quickly that I didn't ever want to put it down! 

What I love most about this book is the romance. The dual POV adds a lot of tension to the relationship, and I love seeing both Gideon's and Rune's thoughts about each other and how those thoughts changed throughout the book. There are some incredibly romantic parts, and I was on the edge of my seat wondering how everything would play out. 

I have a couple of reservations, mainly that I found it to be quite predictable, which is saying something coming from me—I rarely pause and make accurate predictions. All of the foreshadowing was a little heavy handed, and it took some fun out of the plot. I also got the ick from recurring conversations about trying to manipulate a character for sex to get answers (as if this behavior is okay and excusable).

Reservations aside, I was overall delighted with this fast-paced witchy fantasy retelling. I can't wait for the sequel! 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Wednesday Books, for the arc!
Releases Feb 20, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: witch hunts/genocide, torture, public murders, death of a child, death of parents/grandparent, fighting violence and wounds, addiction, domestic abuse, physical and sexual abuse (off page), self harm, one open door scene

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!  

No comments:

Post a Comment