Friday, December 22, 2023

Lost Kingdom: A Book Review


I've heard nothing but amazing things about this debut YA fantasy, and I'm ecstatic to say that I loved it too! It has everything that makes it a solid fantasy: an impressive world with detailed magic and people from all sorts of cultures and backgrounds, political intrigue and a land at the brink of war, and characters with hidden identities and secrets. This book has it all and balances all of the elements perfectly.

From the very beginning, there is a huge amount of tension, and it only builds throughout. It never really slowed down, even with having a travel plot, because there were so many secrets to unravel and battles to fight (both physically and emotionally). I love the direction the plot is going, and I can't wait for the next book.

I love the characters too. Raven is that fierce female MC we all love, but she has her own issues with trying to get her memories and magic back. Jeddak is complicated in his motives, but it's clear he has a good heart, and I loved the element of him having a bear companion, Kah. The dynamics between Raven and Jeddak were well executed, even if the romance is on the back burner for now.  

Overall, this is a solid YA fantasy that I truly enjoyed, and I think a lot of other readers will too. It has similar vibes to An Ember in the Ashes, and I love Laurel Black's engaging writing style. I definitely recommend this one!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Thank you, Laurel Black, for the arc!
Releases January 17, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: threatening of sexual assault, slavery, torture, violence and death, injuries, poisoning, kissing

No comments:

Post a Comment