Wednesday, December 6, 2023

The City of Stardust: A Book Review


This book is absolutely entrancing. It's been a long time since I read a fantasy standalone, and this one just hits different! From the beginning, I was pulled in with the curse, secrets about a magical world, and Aleksander's morally gray POV. And not to mention the writing is spellbinding. 

For a standalone, this book does a great job of creating a complete, complex world. I never felt bogged down with details, and everything is revealed in an organic way. There is so much detail, so much lore, that I would have loved more books set in these worlds, yet it holds its own as a standalone.

I wouldn't say this is a fast-paced book, but there's always tension with the curse and time running out. I think all the different POVs helped move the story along, and the constant reveals also kept my interest. I love books that have a villain POV that shows their villain origin story and all the different sides of them, and this book did a fantastic job showing that.

My only complaint is that the eloquent writing kept me a little removed from Violet and Aleksander. I wanted to feel their emotions as they felt them. Perhaps I needed more character growth from Violet. But still an captivating story with a beautiful ending. I think fans of Laini Taylor and V.E. Schwab will enjoy this!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Hatchette Book Group, for the arc!
Releases Jan 30, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: parent abandonment, fighting violence, death and gore, child kidnapping and sacrificial death, torture recounted, one brief open door scene

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment