Friday, January 20, 2023

Beyond That, the Sea: A Book Review



My primary emotion after reading this book is ANGER. If you're expecting a heartwarming WWII story, I'm not sure you'll find it. I can't believe what happened. It's truly a soap opera in book form.

The first half of this book is phenomenal. I love stories that have multiple POVs spanning over decades. It makes for fantastic character development, and I grew VERY attached to the characters. Alas, this was my doom, because the second half was quite awful for these characters.

A couple characters made a poor decision together that, luckily, didn't ruin their lives too much (I just couldn't get past their poor moral choice). Then throughout the years, the opposite of what I predicted happened, and the ending left me flabbergasted. I don't want to explain too much because of spoilers, but I wanted to throw the book across the room. The second half was filled with random tragedies mixed with saddening adult choices. 

But overall, it was still beautiful. The writing is magnificent, and the short chapters kept me voraciously reading. There's some beautiful mother-daughter growth in this too. And I loved reading a book that wasn't all about WWII, but rather the aftermath of it. This book is truly unlike any other book I've read, in both a beautiful and an angering way. I literally have no idea if I would recommend it or not. I'm baffled.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Celadon Books, for the arc!

Trigger/Content Warnings: parent death, cheating, brief open door, car accident death

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment