Thursday, January 26, 2023

Divine Rivals: A Book Review


In my opinion, Divine Rivals is the best of Rebecca Ross's work so far. THIS BOOK IS STUNNING. It is unique, romantic, TENSE, and heart-wrenching. I can't say enough good things.

First of all, the premise sets it apart from other YA/NA fantasy. The world is a mix of gods and monsters, and World War I. I absolutely love learning about WWI, and I often feel like it's overshadowed by WWII. It's absolutely heart-wrenching to read a fantasy that includes all the elements of WWI and the early 1900s: trench fighting, bombs, gas bombs, typewriters, high class versus low class, etc. I think Rebecca Ross perfectly combines history with fantasy in a way that makes sense and is thrilling to read.

The other thing I LOVE about this book is the romance; it has rivals to lovers, he falls first, and hidden identity. Roman is absolutely divine, and watching his relationship grow with Iris was an absolute pleasure.

This book ends on a cliffhanger, and I can't wait to see where it goes next. It's has a fabulous story that had me reading far past my bedtime. I can't recommend it enough!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Thank you, Wednesday Books and NetGalley, for the arc!

Trigger/Content Warnings: one brief open door, war violence and gore, death of a parent

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment